Goodyear Red Bands [was Re: Triumph research ...]

To: Chris Bullock <bullobc@vtxix.slg.eds.com>
Subject: Goodyear Red Bands [was Re: Triumph research ...]
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 14:27:50 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Mon, 11 Mar 1996, Chris Bullock wrote:

> Well, I got the research back on my 73 TR6.  Very nice certificate with
> plenty of information, including car number, engine number, body number,
> destination dealer, optional equipment included, int. and ext. color,
> manufacture date and shipment date, etc.  Mine states that my car was
> shipped with Goodyear red band tyres.  Anybody know what these are?  Similar
> to the Michelin X?  Just curious.

The Goodyear was the "standard equipment" tire; I believe it was the
G800 model or similar. The Michelin was the "optional equipment" tire.
Neither is a terribly exciting tire unless your primary goal is Concours
judging. It's just that the Michelins pretty much have been available
all these years that they have become "The Standard" for the TR6. I
think the Goodyears went out of production many years ago.

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *