Re: '76 Spit - noise in rear

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, don@buster.ngs.noaa.gov
Subject: Re: '76 Spit - noise in rear
From: "jpratchi" <jpratchi@isdlink1.ess.harris.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 96 08:03:56 est
Don;

   Grease is inserted into the rear bearings through zerk fittings in the
trunion casting.  The clicking could be from universal joints, which are prone
to failure at about a one per year rate on a Spitfire used as a daily driver.
(Typically you replace all four in about four years.) The rear bearings can
cause the clicks and the inner bearings are a b*tch to work on. Another
possibility is early indications of differential wear.  I'm in the process of
replacing the diff in my 1980 Spit which died after about six weeks of noise
which grew from clicks to moan to scream to grind over that time. Put the car on
jack stands and get underneath and turn the drive train components by hand and
listen for the location of any unusual sound.  Often the source of the will
reveal itself by this method.

regards,  John Pratchios '80 Spitfire daily driver until last Sunday
          jpratchi@harris.com