'76 Spit - noise in rear

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (TRIUMPHS)
Subject: '76 Spit - noise in rear
From: Don Haw <don@buster.ngs.noaa.gov>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 96 14:49:51 EST
Mailer: Elm [revision: 70.85]
Greetings:

I have been lurking for weeks and I am getting an urge to tackle the troubles
with my 1976 Spitfire 1500.  I am very envious of all you who know how to
completely rebuild a car and I am envious of you who know which end of a screw
driver to use (sharp end, right?).

I got my first LBC in 1981 ('78 Spit) and when something broke on it I would
take it to the shop and I would say, "It doesn't run, maybe the air is low."
Then I would proceed to take out my Visa card and begin owing on it for months.
I got rid of the 78 when I ran out of money.  I have since picked up a 76 from
my brother(original owner).  He just got bored w/ it (how can that be).

I would like to get into fixing my 76 Spit.  I want to know all about this car.
Not just for me, but for my 2 sons (3.5 and 1.5).  So here's the problem....

There is a clicking noise in the back.  When I push the clutch in and coast
I hear "click.click.click...."  Is this noise the wheel beerings?  If so,
do I slop grease back there (If I can get the wheel off).  Should I inspect
the axle for wear?"  Should I drive it until I hear someone shout, "Hey buddy
it looks as if your wheels are going to bend in!"  That has happened before.

Any help would be appreciated.  You can e-mail me direct if you wish. Thanks

Don Haw
'76 Spit
University Park, Maryland, USA
--
--- Don Haw * National Geodetic Survey * NOAA, NOS, NGS ---
--- email:      don@ngs.noaa.gov (Internet)      ---

    THE NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY -  We're   N - G - xS - able

                                     http://www.ngs.noaa.gov

Come get your GPS Data while it's hot!