Re: Waxoil

To: owner-triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: Waxoil
From: Phil Willson <P.J.Willson@qmw.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 08:44:24 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>Anyways, I am still searching for a definitive answer to
this
>elusive question.  Over the years I have come to assume
that
>"oilskin" is some type of plastic wrap, perhaps similar to
a sheet
>of plastic tarp, etc.  but nobody has ever confirmed such
is the
>case.  Seeing as how oilwax is a uniquely British product
which I
>have not seen here in the states I figured that somebody
in the UK
>could finally answer this inquiry.

Just about bang on, old bean.  'Oilskin' is basically an oil
impregnated cloth.  Its main use, as far as I can remember,
was as clothing for people such as fishermen out at sea in
a storm (or even early sports car drivers, I suppose).  A
suit made of the stuff would be known by the plural
'oilskins'.  I don't know whether the oil was animal,
vegetable  or mineral I'm afraid but it certainly would not
have been synthetic!

Boring but basically true.

Have a jolly spiffing day,

Phil