Waxoil

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Waxoil
From: rvince00@counsel.com (Ross Vincente -- TransAmer. Financial - Los Angeles )
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 96 15:13:26 EST

 To:    Triumphs List,          Inet

The discussion about waxoil reminds me of something I read as a
youngster when I used to read action/adventure novels by the
author Alistair McLean (great stuff by the way, especially "The
Way to Dusty Death" which involved formula one racing in a murder
mystery context).  Oops, I digress.

Anyways, McLean being an English chap occasionally used words and
phrases which seemed quite foreign to me being across the pond and
all.  I do seem to recall that whenever one of the characters in
his novels was out on a wet and rainy night and wanted to protect
something, such as a gun or knife, he/she wrapped it in "oilskin".
 Now, being a lad of oh, say, twelve or thirteen at the time the
term "oilskin" certainly conjured up my imagination.  What exactly
was "oilskin"?  Was it really the skin off of some oily creature?
If so, was it fowl or fish or ?  What did it look like?  Where did
one get it?  Did it come in large sheets or on a roll?  What else
was it good for, as it was obviously waterproof.

Anyways, I am still searching for a definitive answer to this
elusive question.  Over the years I have come to assume that
"oilskin" is some type of plastic wrap, perhaps similar to a sheet
of plastic tarp, etc.  but nobody has ever confirmed such is the
case.  Seeing as how oilwax is a uniquely British product which I
have not seen here in the states I figured that somebody in the UK
could finally answer this inquiry.  Thanks much and happy
motoring.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4 (still in surgery).