Waxoil

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Waxoil
From: "Chris Boston" <cboston@zeu.tt.umist.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 08:54:27 +0000
Karl asks about waxoil, I don't know where to begin.

waxoil is a fairly fluid mixture of oils and wax I suppose, made by finnigans
(the hammerite people), it comes in aerosols, tubs or spray canisters.  I use a
spray canister with a hand pressure pump (supplied in a waxoil kit). Cost is
reasonable, about ten to fifteen sterling for enough to do the whole car.

An application is supposed to last for years, but most people recommend
re-application once a year - it isn't too time consuming.

It can be obtained from moss, rimmers, and virtually every car accessory store
I've ever come across.

The basic principle is that rust can't live in oil, so coat your car in it.
 Until recently, it was very common practice to coat large areas of a car with
used engine oil to prevent rust.  This isn't so eco-friendly, so most people
now use waxoil.  Remove any surface rust with a wire brush, and spray on the
waxoil liberally.

Because waxoil is fairly fluid, it can be sprayed into virtually every nook and
cranny, particularly inside the chassis.  use drain/rust holes to gain access
to the innermost parts of your chassis and panels, and spray on loads of the
stuff.

It can be applied virtually anywhere, inside door skins is a particularly
useful area to cover.  It kinda searches out rust with its creeping properties
and tries to eat it.

When it dries, it leaves a waxy surface that is fairly transparent, so you can
experiment with putting it on visible bits - I recently heard the suggestion
that a rag soaked in waxoil can be rubbed along panel seams after washing to
inhibit surface rust.

There are many alternatives on the market, but waxoil is the benchmark, a kind
of de-facto standard in rust prevention.

I'm sure that others will add to the above.

Have fun,

Chris.
       1977 Spitfire 1500 O/D. (Everyday/Only Driver)

NB. I have no connection with waxoil or finnigans in any way, other than as a
happy user.