Re: Windshield refinishing

To: Charles.Y.Farwell@att.com
Subject: Re: Windshield refinishing
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 96 12:53:10 MST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>       I am refinishing the windshield for my TR4. Currently, the inside of
>       the frame is covered with black vinyl, which needs to be replaced.
>       However, after recently using the "black wrinke paint" and being
>       pleased with the results, I am considering using that on the frame.
>
>       The only problem is that the wrinkle paint seems to be very
>       vulnerable to scratching when dry, because it's rather soft. Can one
>       put a top coat over wrinkle paint that will help prevent
>       scratching?
>
>       I welcome your thoughts!
>
>thanks,

>Charlie Farwell                1962 TR4 #CT3852L
>cyf@dr.att.com

Charley,
 I would suggest you use the "high heat" or engine wrinkle paint. When
completely dry, it is hard as nail. Granted, it will scuff because it
becomes so brittle but it is mouch more durable than the regular wrinkle.
 When using this paint, the thicker it is, the bigger the wrinkles, and
it will wrinkle more if no primer is used.
 Not a bad idea, but installing vinyl is not that difficult.
 I used Scotch 3M "90" aerosol, it's about $10. a can, but good stuff.
 Spray the post and the vinyl, stick 'em together.
 Fold the vinyl over the w/s frame so the sealing rubber covers it when
the glass is installed. Fold the other side over the outside of the
frame, the weather strip will cover it.
 IMHO, I think you would like the vinyl better.
Best Regards,
Tony R.
"GT6s"
###