Re: Mk III Spitfire Timing

To: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Mk III Spitfire Timing
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 10:28:05 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 23 Oct 1995, Greg Meboe wrote:

> John,
>       If I remember my specs correctly, the 69 spit (high compression, twin
> carb, vacuum advance dizzy) should be timed dynamically at 13btdc.  The 2
> atdc setting would be for the single carburettor, vacuum retarded 1970 model
> car, (timing set with retard connected and functioning).

Thanks for the info... this is definitely an advance mechanism on this
carb..  Now, how do I tell where 13 BTDC is? <g>  I do have a cam degree
wheel somewhere, I guess I could just mark the pulley 13 degrees off the
dimple.

Any tips on improving cold start would be welcome, too.  My guess is fuel
is evaporating from the float bowls and it takes time for the mechanical
pump to fill them (compared with the MG where the electrical pump fills
them before you start cranking... but it could be other factors.

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle
"You are what you is. - Frank Zappa"