Re: spitfire / GT6 trans

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: spitfire / GT6 trans
From: jstrohm@unisql.unisql.com (Jim Strohm)
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 95 16:21:44 CDT
The GT6 bellhousing pattern is WAY different from a Spitfire.  I haven't
checked the bellhousing-to-tranny pattern because my GT6 (Rest In Pieces) came
to me without benefit of tranny.  Silly me -- I thought I'd
be able to stick a Spit tranny on the GT6.

There's no reason you couldn't mix and match this stuff as long as the input
shaft goes to the right place.  The DPO of my first Spitfire had "rebuilt"
the clutch from a pile of clutch parts in a junkyard...I don't think the
bellhousings are custom-mated to their transmissions, but you'd want to check
concentricity of the installed input shaft to the crankshaft.  You can get some
funny problems if they're off.  This happens frequently with American hotrod
formed steel bellhousings.

I've never seen a "steel" Spit bellhousing, just cast iron and ugly as a pig. ;)

Jim

no more Spits in Bits, just kettles full of Alfa Ravioli