Re: spitfire / GT6 trans

To: jstrohm@unisql.unisql.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: spitfire / GT6 trans
From: SCHWANGAU@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 1995 00:12:22 -0400
Spitfires came with three bellhousings that I know of.  Early ones were
aluminum.  I do not know if they are interchangeable with later trans and
1500 engines.  I will soon find out, as I have the parts to try.  The 1500
with the single rail shifter box had TWO different bells.  Early ones had an
oil slinger on the first motion shaft.  Later ones had a rubber seal.  The
bell is machined different.  I was able to mix and match a little here.  I
rebuilt the later box (rubber seal bell housing) but had to use the slinger
first motion shaft as the later one was broken.  I took the shaft to the
local bearing house and they came up with a seal that would fit the later
bell housing AND the earlier slinger shaft.  Works fine!  Now I can park on a
hill and not have all the oil run out the front of the transmission!

Happy motoring

Brian N.