Re: Off Body Experience

To: Neil Beasley <74741.2020@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Off Body Experience
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 14:55:08 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On 27 Sep 1995, Neil Beasley wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm a new owner of a 76 TR 6 and want to remove the body so I can get to the
> stuff underneath as well as sand and repaint the shell. Since I've never done
> this, I have several questions:
>
> 1. What is the easiest way to remove the shell? Four strong men, four jacks,
> etc.?
>
> 2. Just looking at the shell, it would appear to the untrained eye that if the
> doors were removed and the shell lifted, it would tend to bend in the middle
>if
> not supported well. Is this true? Should I leave the doors on or replace them
> with  braces or just don't worry about it?
>
> 3.Are there any rattlesnakes I haven't even thought of?
>
> I appreciate any help or advice on this scary looking project.
>
> Neil

Neil:
You said it in your last line; "scary looking project". If you insist on
taking the body from the frame, leave the doors on or make some braces to
take their place, otherwise the shell will fold up. If you go to this
extent, the shell will be bare and should weigh nothing assuming you've
taken off the fenders, etc.I would recommend getting a copy of "Practical
Classics" on the TR-6 rebuild from Classic Motorbooks. They do a frame-off
rebuild and have some good pictures (the text stinks). Good luck and keep
us posted>

Phil Barnes  '71 TR-6  CC61193