exhausting weekend

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: exhausting weekend
From: thompson@ridgeback.East.Sun.COM (Keith B. Thompson - Sun)
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 15:17:50 -0400
hi,

friday my new ss exhaust system arrived and over the
week end i took a chance in trying to install it into
my 250. (my original plan was to drive it to my local
garage and let them do it). my concern was getting off
the nuts holding the down-pipe on the exhaust manifold.

to my amazment i got one nut off. i then tried the other
two and broke off the studs inside the nut.

Now what do i do?

i do have new studs. i have not been able to take off
the down pipe (i have not tried very hard because of
#1 below). i see these two options:

1) i tossed the old exhaust so i could put the new
back end on the down-pipe and drive it over to the
garage and let them figure it out (don't like this
because of the principle of the thing)

2) get the studs out of the manifold or die trying.
(or die breathing in liquid wrench).

are there any secrets to this, like how to pry the
down-pipe off? things i should try in order to get the
studds out?

thanks,

kbt