TR6 steering rack: thanks, + more

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 steering rack: thanks, + more
From: "Peter Barrance" <trs@eagle.gsh.jhu.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 15:29:22 -0400
Thanks to Paul, Scott and Greg for their answers to my questions. Firstly, as
far as pinion play; I'm glad to know tightening is achieved by removing shims,
rather than adding as I was thinking. Must not have looked at it carefully
enough. I was also warned by my father to be careful to avoid binding
off-center when doing this. It looks like the nut will be a job to remove
without taking off the rack. Has anyone done this?

Scott said that the curb-side bushing can be replaced cheaply. After careful
inspection of TRF's exploded views last night I had also come to the conclusion
that this is probably what is worn to give me the transverse play at that end.
How hard is it to change? Of course one would have to take off the inner
tie-rod end (balljoint), but is the bushing a press-fit job or what?

Last one (on this subject anyway) - (I hesitate to ask this) -

Grease or gear oil in the rack?

Thanks again,

Pete