Exhausting Weekend

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Exhausting Weekend
From: rvince00@counsel.com (Ross Vincente -- TransAmer. Financial - Los Angeles )
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 95 12:03:38 EDT

 To:    Triumph Mail List,      Triumph Subscribers     Inet

Okay, I'll throw in my two cents now, after having lived through
the restoration from Hell (68 Datsun 1600 Roadster - frame off,
rust everywhere, broken clutch, trans, diff., etc, you get the
picture and its not pretty) . . .  Anyways, IMHO and experience
one should always remember that there really is nothing that one
can do to a car, ANY car, that cannot be fixed . . . for a price.
Having said that, don't be afraid to try some of the more
seemingly radical ideas posted to the BB with respect to a remedy
for your problems.  You won't learn anything unless you take the
plunge every now and then.  (Of course, your pocket book may take
a few hits every now and then but what else would you do with the
$$$$, buy beer?)

Re: you exhaust stud problem, heating the stud remnants with a
torch is the better approach I believe, and you'll no doubt still
end up doing the vice grip thing as well if any part of the stud
remains beyond the head surface.  I have used heat often and
effectively in removing stubborn rusted parts, bolts, nuts etc.
Common sense warning:  clean area thoroughly of all oil, grease,
fuel, other combustibles first - we don't want any fires under the
bonnet.  Rust is a way of life in older cars and you will learn
from experience that patience and gentle (emphasis on gentle)
persistance is the best remedy.  BTW, if you have to drill out the
studs, make sure you use a carbide or coated bit, the HSS bits
loose their edge pretty quick, and use a bit that is as close as
possible to the diameter of the stud without going into the
threads themselves.  If you do it right, the bit will "eat up"
most of the stud and the rest of the bits and pieces will fall
right out.

good luck

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire Mk. I, 68 Datsun 1600 Roadster and a cat named
Flounder.