Re: TR6 ignition wiring...arrrghh!!

To: "Jon Moody (BME)" <mood@rad.unc.edu>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 ignition wiring...arrrghh!!
From: "Chris Kantarjiev" <cak@godzilla.studio.sgi.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 21:50:48 -0700 "TR6 ignition wiring...arrrghh!!" (Sep 25, 9:49am)
>On my car the switch  has 5 wires
>connecting to lucar type connetors - 2 thick brown wires, 1 thick white
>wire w/ a red stripe, 1 thick white wire, and one not so thick brown and red
>wire.  These colors dont match any wiring  diagam I have seen!! The two
>white wires aare at the same potential and I think the white and red one
>must go to the starter.  I belive the two brown ones are +12V but I can't
>figure out why they are not at the same potential when tested w/ a meter.
>The brown and red wire is a mystery.  The switch I am putting in is a 4

Standard Lucas color code:

brown: unswitched 12v
white: ignition switched 12V
white/red: starter "sense" - to starter solenoid
brown/red: new one on me! might be to the heater or accessories?

Chances are that one of the brown wires is from the battery and uses the
ignition switch as a junction to the other brown wire.