Re: TR6 steering rack play

To: Peter Barrance <trs@eagle.gsh.jhu.edu>
Subject: Re: TR6 steering rack play
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 19:59:50 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 25 Sep 1995, Peter Barrance wrote:

>   It turned out that the play is actually between the
> rack 'tube' and the rack itself. That is to say, the rack can be
> moved transversely to its housing when I push on a road wheel with

Peter,
        It is as you suspect.  Adjusting the play out of the steering rack
to pinion fit is accomplished by removing shimming washers from beneath
the pinion holddown nut.  Remove enough shims to take up the play, but be
sure that the rack doesn't bind at the extreme limits of its travel.
Naturally, the rack teeth located near the center of the rack will wear
more than the teeth at the sides, because the rack is usually near the
centered position.

        Good luck,

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Web site>> http://www.scs.wsu.edu/~meboe
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6