Re: TR6 ignition wiring...arrrghh!!

To: "Jon Moody (BME)" <mood@rad.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: TR6 ignition wiring...arrrghh!!
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 11:59:19 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 25 Sep 1995, Jon Moody (BME) wrote:

> I need some help on wiring codes for an ignition switch for a '73 TR6.  I
> made the mistake of taking the old switch out before I really understood
> what each of the leads connected to.  On my car the switch  has 5 wires
> connecting to lucar type connetors - 2 thick brown wires, 1 thick white
> wire w/ a red stripe, 1 thick white wire, and one not so thick brown and red
> wire.  These colors dont match any wiring  diagam I have seen!! The two
> white wires aare at the same potential and I think the white and red one
> must go to the starter.  I belive the two brown ones are +12V but I can't
> figure out why they are not at the same potential when tested w/ a meter.
> The brown and red wire is a mystery.  The switch I am putting in is a 4
> terminal switch that I got from MOSS.  Can someone give me some clues as
> to how to do this !!! Thanks in advance.
>
> Jon Moody '73 TR6

Jon: I did this just the other day so it's fresh in my mind. From the back
of the switch there are wires to: the ammeter,the starter solenoid (spade
terminal), the fuse block and then the coil +, the OD relay, the brake
failure warning lamp, the ignition warning lamp, and the light switch on
the column.Some of these are ganged together so you won't have to check
every one. Arrrrgh, indeed.

Phil Barnes  '71 TR-6  CC61193