Re: TR6 ignition wiring...arrrghh!!

To: "Jon Moody (BME)" <mood@rad.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: TR6 ignition wiring...arrrghh!!
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 11:33:59 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 25 Sep 1995, Jon Moody (BME) wrote:

> I need some help on wiring codes for an ignition switch for a '73 TR6.  I
> made the mistake of taking the old switch out before I really understood
> what each of the leads connected to.  On my car the switch  has 5 wires
> connecting to lucar type connetors - 2 thick brown wires, 1 thick white
> wire w/ a red stripe, 1 thick white wire, and one not so thick brown and red
> wire.  These colors dont match any wiring  diagam I have seen!! The two
> white wires aare at the same potential and I think the white and red one
> must go to the starter.  I belive the two brown ones are +12V but I can't
> figure out why they are not at the same potential when tested w/ a meter.
> The brown and red wire is a mystery.  The switch I am putting in is a 4
> terminal switch that I got from MOSS.  Can someone give me some clues as
> to how to do this !!! Thanks in advance.
>
> Jon Moody '73 TR6

Jon:
Having done exactly this only the other day, it is still fresh in my mind.
There are leading from the switch:a wire to the fuse block and then the coil,a
wire to the
OD relay, a wire (RW) to the starter solenoid (spade terminal), a wire to
the ammeter (brown/white in my harness), a wire to the brake failure lamp,
and a wire to the ignition warning lamp. Hope this is some help. Arrrrgh,
indeed.

Phil Barnes  '71 TR-6  CC61193