Re: Spitfire emission control air pipe

To: b_martin@lifesci.lscf.ucsb.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire emission control air pipe
From: S1500@aol.com
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 1995 12:01:45 -0400
Wordly Scions, Brent writes-

-snip-
 it seems that there was a period in about 78
when the air pump went to the exhaust manifold. Moss, TRF, VB don't have
this pipe. It appears that my exhaust manifold has a plug where it should
connect     Do any of you know where I can get this air pipe that screws
into the exhaust manifold?
-snip-

This pipe can be fabricated fairly easily.  That's probably why it is not
available
from the vendors (for quite some time now).  You will need obtain the
check valve which is common to other marques  and model years.  One
other thing tocheck is the condition of the threads where this pipe (fitting)
screws in to the exhaust manifold.  A common PO bodge is to (forcefully)
insert some kind of bolt / plug with the incorrect thread to "plug" this
hole.
Offhand I'm not sure what the correct size / thread is, but I do know that
it is the same fine thread/size as used on the EGR _exit_ fitting.  This
would be on a small "U" shaped, asbestos covered pipe for a '78 model
Spitfire.  The fitting is a common (hardware store) brass compression
pipe fitting.  On the air pump end, the pipe would have to be threaded to
accept the check valve.

Bob (BT) Sykes
75, 78, 78 Spitfires