Re: When were sidelights legally required?

To: dan parslow <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>, TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: When were sidelights legally required?
From: "Doug Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 1995 07:17:40 -0400 "When were sidelights legally required?" (Sep 12, 11:33am)
> Subject: When were sidelights legally required?
> Greetings O Triumphanatics.
>
> When did front sidelights become a legal requirement in the You Ess of
> Ay?
[snip]

> Now unfortunately this car has never been registered in Arizona before,
> and will therefore have to undergo an inspection.   Are they going
> to tell me that as an ostensibly 1966 car it will have to have
> sidelights?
>
> Any info appreciated.
> - Dan Parslow
>
> P.S. If it does need sidelights I'll be shopping for those fantastic
> TR4A/250 jobs...might as well do it with some style.
>-- End of excerpt from dan parslow

Side marker lights were not required until either '69 or '70. I don't
remember the FMVSS number, but I do remember that GM had side lights
on most (all?) 1969 cars. There may have been a phase in of front
only on '69, and all on '70. You don't need to worry on your Vitesse.
I am assuming that you mean the lights near the front and rear corners
of the car. They indicate the presence of the vehicle.

If you are refering to the lights that flash on the side, usually seen
on European and Japanese cars, there is not now, nor has there ever been
a requirement for these in the US.

Doug Mitchell

PS, the FMVSS applicable is No. 108 which covers all lighting. FMVSS
stands for Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard.

Doug