When were sidelights legally required?

To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: When were sidelights legally required?
From: dan parslow <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 1995 11:33:37 -0700 (MST)
Greetings O Triumphanatics.

When did front sidelights become a legal requirement in the You Ess of
Ay?

My 1965 Vitesse (titled as a 1966, unfortunately) had these obviously
tacked-on sidelights when I got it.  They were quite old, probably
done by the dealer back in '66.  They were hideous.  Small, perfectly
square things with sharp edges in a plasticchrome frame, held on by
two big screws.  Behind them were lights whose wiring was hand-soldered
onto the leads for the front driving lights.

The first thing I did was remove these ugly little buggers and stomp
on them thoroughly, then patch and level the holes before painting.

Now unfortunately this car has never been registered in Arizona before,
and will therefore have to undergo an inspection.   Are they going
to tell me that as an ostensibly 1966 car it will have to have
sidelights?

Any info appreciated.
- Dan Parslow

P.S. If it does need sidelights I'll be shopping for those fantastic
TR4A/250 jobs...might as well do it with some style.