Re: Mystery Transmission Parts

To: "Tim Hoffman" <thoffman@onramp.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mystery Transmission Parts
From: "Doug Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 1995 07:33:43 -0400 "Mystery Transmission Parts" (Sep 11, 5:45pm)
> Subject: Mystery Transmission Parts
> I had the transmission tunnel cover off yesterday in my '74 Spitfire
> in order to track down a loose shifter and I discovered a seemingly
> unused bracket attached to the 2 front top cover extension bolts.
> Mounted in this mystery bracket was a mystery switch that closes via
> a cam whenever the transmission is in gear. ANY gear.
>
> What is the switch for?  I do not have overdrive, but maybe the "base"
> transmission is out of a car with overdrive?
>
> It will be living the rest of its life in my spare parts box unless
> somebody can give me a good reason to put it back!
>
> Thanks!

> Tim Hoffman    thoffman@onramp.net
>
> '90 Eclipse GST, '88 Conquest TSi, '85 Nissan P/U, '77 Sterling #762,
> '76 Sterling #484, '75 Sterling #392, '74 Spitfire, 2 cats, and a
> parrot named Ross.
>
> Sterling Home Page: http://rampages.onramp.net/~thoffman/index.html
>-- End of excerpt from Tim Hoffman

Tim,

This part really isn't necessary, it is for the seatbelt interlock
switch. This is the switch that tells the car that someone is sitting
in the car, with the car in gear, and not wearing the seatbelt. It is
a holdover from the seatbelt/ignition interlock requirement of the US
government. My '73 Spit has the switch, but the buzzer has been
disconnected. I sometimes reconnect the buzzer to make my wife put her
belt on. 8-O

Doug Mitchell - '73 Spit 1500 - "The Grape"