help: hub?trunnion?axle? probs!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: help: hub?trunnion?axle? probs!
From: davcla@ix.netcom.com (David Clark)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 16:43:03 -0700
Hi All,

Well,  after skipping over all of those previous 'hub' posts I think I
have a little "expensive problem".  I really can't blame it on the car
this time (damn!) because I think the whole thing was caused by my own
stupidity and momentary lapse of reason/maturity.

After spending the weekend getting my spit (1979 and a daily driver)
back on the road (electrical) I was in seventh heaven because it seemed
to be running great (I am sure you all know the feeling)!  Well that
following monday my little brother stopped by after work in his new
Baretta.  Some how we ended up racing to the road and I uh, er um
well...  Well I just put it into reverse,  slammed on the gas,
wrenched the wheel, hit the brakes and did one of those 180's that
looked so good on TV  (I know,  shame on me)!  Well the next day I
started hearing a thump-clank-click and the realization of what I did
to my poor baby hit, HARD!

Well here is what it looks like:  The passenger hub appears to be
sticking about an inch to far away from the brake back plate.  It does
not appear to be dislodged from the axle.  It seems that the force of
the turn pushed the trunnion up the axle, and now, if I grab hold of
the vertical links and pull them towards me I can get the hub back to
where it should be.  I haven't attempted to remove the hub yet to see
what kink of damage has been cause because the 'haynes manual'  make it
appear to be pretty forboding to remove without special tools.  I seem
to remember reading a way how to remove the hubs while the axel was
still in the car but now that I would like to I can't recall anything.

Also,  what does keep the trunnion in place on the axel,  How do I know
what to look for ,  and any ideas what to expect?

Thanks in Advance!!

David Clark