Re: Seeking Advice re Gearb

To: "Ernest G. Janzen" <bc620@scn.org>, rkriggs@hsv28.pcmail.ingr.com
Subject: Re: Seeking Advice re Gearb
From: "Scott St. Clair" <scott_st_clair@c-cube.com>
Date: 11 Sep 1995 13:17:09 U
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
        Reply to:   RE>>Seeking Advice re Gearbox/OD

Popping out of gear in a TR is almost always caused by bad syncro assemlies.
Not the balk rings (the shiny brass things many call syncros), but the slider
and hub combination itself. This is the gizmo that locks the driven gear on
the main shaft to the mainshaft, putting you in one gear or another. They
wear out. There is nothing you can do but replace them. They were getting
rare last time I did a trany, so I don't know what availability is like.
Contact TRF. Most folks do not replace them on rebuild because they are so
expensive. Interesting, most folks do replace the balk rings, even though the
only one that ususally wears out is second.

Scott St. Clair
'68 TR250