Re: Seeking Advice re Gearb

To: scott_st_clair@c-cube.com
Subject: Re: Seeking Advice re Gearb
From: "Randell Jesup" <jesup@scala.scala.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 95 17:54:21 EDT
>Popping out of gear in a TR is almost always caused by bad syncro assemlies.
>Not the balk rings (the shiny brass things many call syncros), but the slider
>and hub combination itself. This is the gizmo that locks the driven gear on
>the main shaft to the mainshaft, putting you in one gear or another. They
>wear out.

        This is basically what I meant by "dog-teeth" in my previous message
I think it's the right term: they're the bits around the outside edge of the
gear that looks like this:

         /\
        /  \
        |  |<- this is the area that can wear at an angle, causing popping out
        |  |   of gear

        There are lots of these.  On a sprite, they're part of the gear itself
as I remember.  On a TR, they might be part of the synchro assembly.

> There is nothing you can do but replace them. They were getting
>rare last time I did a trany, so I don't know what availability is like.
>Contact TRF. Most folks do not replace them on rebuild because they are so
>expensive. Interesting, most folks do replace the balk rings, even though the
>only one that ususally wears out is second.

        They're brass, they do wear out eventually (my third syncro is a bit
weak), and they're cheap/easy to replace if you're in there anyways.

        I've had a trans rebuild kit sitting around waiting to be used for
~6 years now.  I plan to finally do the rebuild this fall.  Since some of the
parts are hard to come by now, ordering it back then may have been a good idea.
Of course, that doesn't include any "unusual" components, so we'll see.
--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D, Ex-Commodore-Amiga Engineer class of '94
Randell.Jesup@scala.com