Brakes: that sinking feeling

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Brakes: that sinking feeling
From: "John Laidler" <johnl@zeta.org.au>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 21:16:30 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <johnl@godzilla.zeta.org.au>
For a few weeks I've noticed that the brake pedal on my 2500 PI
slowly sinks while sitting at the lights. Since the car is an
automatic, it's in 'D' at this point, and as the pedal sinks, the
car will start to inch forward. Most times it seems to reach a point
where the sinking and inching stops, but this morning on my way to
work I was stopped for some time on a steep hill: the pedal slowly
sank down to the floor, and I had to change into 'Park' to stop from
slowly rolling into the car in front of me.

I haven't be able to locate the problem. I have bled the brakes and
replaced all the vacuum servo hoses, some of which showed splitting.
Is this a hydraulic or servo problem?

1. I notice no lack of effectiveness when slowing down from speed.
The effect is only felt while standing on the pedal.

2. Once I release the pedal and move off, the pedal travel returns
to normal range.

3. No loss of brake fluid.

I intend to replace all the brake hoses and completely renew the
brake fluid. Should I be looking to overhaul the servo as well?

Any comments welcomed. Thanks.

John

           John Laidler | johnl@zeta.org.au | (+612) 519 3912
            68 Applebee St. St Peters N.S.W. 2044 Australia
             ...available for HTML & Web authoring work...