Re: Put grease in new balljoints?

To: Jeremy DuBois <jer@thlogic.com>
Subject: Re: Put grease in new balljoints?
From: Phil Willson <P.J.Willson@qmw.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 1995 09:34:18 BST
Jeremy,

>   At the risk of admitting my ignorance, when you install new balljoints in
> the front suspension (of a Spit 1500, if it matters), are you supposed to
> put grease into the balljoint?  I didn't, I just stuck the balljoints on the
> car as they came out of box, and I'm starting to think that wasn't a good
> idea, even though the manuals don't mention anything about greasing them.

Most top ball joints are pre-packed and sealed so you can't grease them.  I
don't know if they're still available,
but there was a version with a grease nipple on the top so they could be
greased in service.  In other words, you
have done the right thing and if they can be greased, it can be done in situ.

Phil

From:   Phil Willson
        Electronic Engineering
        Queen Mary and Westfield College