Re: brakes, honing and polishing trick

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brakes, honing and polishing trick
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 1995 22:03:00 -0400
++> > > is some *slight* pitting in the bore. Is  it ok to hone the cylinder
+when
++> > > this pitting is present or do I need to drop the $200 for a new one?

++> > You can try honing but based on past experience, you will have the MC out
++> > of the car again by next summer to do it again.  I don't know why this is,

++> I have heard from someone who has had very good luck on, as I recall, at
+least
++> two different vehicles (I don't think there were any Triumphs involved)
++> by honing the cylinder and then using lapping and buffing compound to

        I have had pretty good luck polishing the cylinder bores using
3M scotchbrite pads.  I cut a disk approximately twice the diameter of the
bore.  I have a 3/8" X 6" steel rod which I have drilled and tapped on one
end for a screw.  Punching a hole in the center of the scotchbrite disk, I
screw it on the end of the rod.  Then I just chuck the assembly in my drill,
soak the pad in brake fluid, and polish away.  This quickly leaves a very
smooth surface with no visible honing marks.  If you use a coarse pad
and grind at it for awhile, it will remove some metal, especially on
aluminum cylinders.
        BTW, to give credit where it is due, I think I picked this trick
up on the Brit-cars list a couple of years ago.

--
William Woodruff        woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu
Ann Arbor MI