Re: Spit Exh.Problems...<ECS9509070920B@elec.qmw.ac.uk>

To: Phil Willson <P.J.Willson@qmw.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Spit Exh.Problems...<ECS9509070920B@elec.qmw.ac.uk>
From: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570"<RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 1995 10:01:49 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
>Just an observation:

>> I found a source of British intake manifold, carb and exhaust manifold setups
>> (eight port heads ala 1300cc and 1500cc).  They are used from British salvage
>> yards and are becoming hard to get.  They  include:
>>
>> Two (2) -  1.5" su carbs (as used in Britain, we got 1.25")
>> Dual carb manifold for above
>> --- and get this ---
>> Cast Iron Exhaust manifold with 2 (that's two) outlets.
>> >From there he has the 2 into 1 pipe that interfaces to the exhaust system
>> under the car.

>This is probably the set-up from the Dolomite 1500TC.  If so, I understand
>that there is a persistent problem of
>the pipe to manifold joint gasket blowing.  I assume this is due to there only
>being 3 studs to pull what is quite a
>large (i.e. long) flange together whereas perhaps 4 or 5 would have been more
>appropriate.  A case of BL
>cheapskating again.  In all other respects it is probably a good and useful
>design.

>Phil Willson

Something that sprang to mind here,  When the U.S got the 1500 engine they still
had single down pipe(like the MK IV), right (? please correct me, or flame me
if you wish) so therefore what I am thinking is did they(you) still get the
chassis cut out as we did to accomodate the extra size of the twin downpipe
even though they(you) didn't get it, if not, then the chassis will require a
bit of chopping about(Did any parts of the US get the twin SU's for that matter)

Rich.