Re: ZS throttle shaft air leakage

To: JMardy@aol.com
Subject: Re: ZS throttle shaft air leakage
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 1995 17:02:52 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Wed, 6 Sep 1995 JMardy@aol.com wrote:

> The throttle shafts on my 175CD2 Zenith Strombergs are sucking in air.  What
> can be done to remedy this problem?  Do I have to find a machine shop who can
> bore and rebush them or is there some specialty place who does this?  Are
> there any alternatives?
>
> Thanks for any info.
>
> John Mardesich
> '68 TR250, Marin County, CA

If the throttle shafts don't wobble more than about .010 inches in the
carburettor bodies, I'd simply install new seals rather than rebushing
the carburettors and installing new throttle shafts.  Most people don't
realize that one of the improvements Zenith made over the SU design is
the addition of actual rubber throttle shaft seals.  Being rubber, they
are a wear item.  They are usually supplied in carburettor rebuild kits.
Simply prise out the seal cap with a small screwdriver after you have
removed the throttle linkages, butterfly and shaft.

Have a good time,

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6