Re: rubber bushings

To: Marie A Harkins <mah16@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: rubber bushings
From: Jason Clark <gjclark@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 1995 18:59:17 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Wed, 6 Sep 1995, Marie A Harkins wrote:

> Our LBC's use a lot of those hard rubber bushings with the steel sleeve
> inside. (mostly for front and rear suspension.)  What is the best method
> for installing these bushings? Should any sort of lubrication be used when
> attempting to insert them? I apologize if this has been covered here
> previously.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill King,  mah16@cornell.edu

I just replaced the lower-link bushings on my TR7 and found that some
bushings (those with room to compress) will go in without lubrication
with a c-clamp/ball-joint press or (better) a steering-wheel puller.  The
big ones that wouldn't compress I gave up on and took to a local
racing-parts store where they greased the link and pressed them in with a
hydraulic press.  Took about 20 mins for the first one and two for the
second, once they got the technique down, and set me back $10.  (And let
me tell you, after the frustration of trying to DIY them, I was willing
to pay a heck of a lot more :) )

jason

*   Jason Clark                                                           *
*   gjclark@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu / jclark@college.antioch.edu                  *
*   DOROTHY:  You're a very bad man!                                      *
*   WIZARD:   Oh, no, my dear!  I'm a very good man.                      *
*             I'm just a very bad wizard.                                 *
*   _The Wizard of Oz_                                                    *