Re: rubber bushings

To: Marie A Harkins <mah16@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: rubber bushings
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 1995 16:47:46 -0900 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Wed, 6 Sep 1995, Marie A Harkins, a.k.a. Bill King, wrote:

> Our LBC's use a lot of those hard rubber bushings with the steel sleeve
> inside. (mostly for front and rear suspension.)  What is the best method
> for installing these bushings? Should any sort of lubrication be used when
> attempting to insert them? I apologize if this has been covered here
> previously.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill King,  mah16@cornell.edu

Don't laugh, but I've often used a product for hands called Cornhusker's
Lotion. It's got glycerin in it -- the same principle your high gym
teacher applied when inflating the basketballs with those little needle
valves. A light application of either the lotion or just glycerin on the
outside of the bushing will allow it to slide in quite nicely, thank
you. I've never noticed any ill effects from using this on the rubber
bushing, and my hands stay nice and soft as well! ;-) *

  * NYS Library                         phone: (518) 474-8541 (voice) *

  * 10D36 CEC, Albany, NY 12230                  (518) 486-2152 (fax) *
  *  "I was wonderin' why we live so much longer'n our imaginations!" *
  *     -- Broom Hilda                                                *

* Smiley is intended for the soft hands comment; I'm NOT kidding about
the Cornhusker's stuff!