Re: Spitfire starter 'whir'

To: Wes Burian <rmedia@IslandNet.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire starter 'whir'
From: Andy Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 14:57:09 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

On Fri, 17 Mar 1995, Wes Burian wrote:

> I have an 1981 Spitfire 1500. Recently the starter has been, instead of
> engaging correctly the first time, just making a whirring sound and then I
> have to wait until it 'spins down' before engaging the igntion again.
>
> Is this a problem with the starter, and do I have to replace it?

Sounds to me like a minor starter problem, similar to one discussed just
a few days ago. Probably the starter drive is a bit dirty and just needs
to be cleaned up (carb. cleaner or other similar cleaner, or gasoline --
although you didn't hear me recommend that as a cleaning agent). Bad
news, you have to remove the starter. Good news, you'll probably just
have to clean off the starter drive and reinstall the starter. I prefer
NOT to lubricate the drive as for me it's caused more problems than it's
solved, but some do like to lube it a bit.

Good Luck!

Andy Mace