Spitfire starter 'whir'

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire starter 'whir'
From: rmedia@IslandNet.com (Wes Burian)
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 95 10:13 PST
This is probably a common-known fact, but not for myself, so bear with me
since I just joined this group.

I have an 1981 Spitfire 1500. Recently the starter has been, instead of
engaging correctly the first time, just making a whirring sound and then I
have to wait until it 'spins down' before engaging the igntion again.

Is this a problem with the starter, and do I have to replace it?

Also, I can't idle smoothly (but it never stalls) and the engine ususally
backfires once while it is being started. Is this plugs, points, leads or
carb?

Thanks for the pointers to problems so I don't have to hunt all day.

Wes

rmedia@islandnet.com    Reality Media, Victoria, B.C., Canada

          "Life's a .sig and then you bye" - Me