Re: Bolt pattern and offset

To: TR4guyinVA@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bolt pattern and offset
From: Silikal@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 09:02:17 -0500
Scott Tilton asked:
>What will be the effects of fitting a wheel with a very different offset
>than was standard?  I mean, saying I find a wheel, it fits on the TR
>and clears the caliper and suspension stuff, am I going to hurt
>anything if it the offset isn't right?  Or will it handle funny or what?

Answers are: I'll explain in a minute, yes, and yes.

Offsets are figured into the overall suspension geometry by the
designers.  Changing your offset can result in anything from bad
or twitchy handling to needing new wheel bearings way too soon.
Changing offset increases a lever force on the hub.  You're putting
loads on the hub and bearings that are at angles they were not
designed for, which will cause them to fail.  You will probably also
feel a difference in steering effort and feedback, since you have
changed the relationship of caster and camber axes to the center of
the tire contact patch.  If at all possible, use only wheels which match
the factory offset.  Failing that, get as close as you can.

Hope this helps more than disappoints,
Dave Williamson (silikal@aol.com)