Re: Bolt pattern and offset

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, TR4guyinVA@aol.com
Subject: Re: Bolt pattern and offset
From: Marcus Tooze <tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 10:02:01 -0600

> What will be the effects of fitting a wheel with a very different offset than
> was standard?  I mean, saying I find a wheel, it fits on the TR and clears
> the caliper and suspension stuff, am I going to hurt anything if it the
> offset isn't right?  Or will it handle funny or what?  That could be fun,
> switching wheels and tires from one car to another.  I'm sure if it is fun, th
> en there is some reason I shouldn't do it.

I urge anybody with questions about mega-wide wheels to read 'how to modify
your mini' by good old whatisname, the famous A series engine tuner.
He has a section in there w/ diagrams and physics on what it does to
the car when you widen the wheels. It can seriusoly stress the susp/steering
components because it moves the center os stress...or something like that.
read the book....it's a LOT better than relying on my memory.

Marcus