Re: TR4/TR3A Seats

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4/TR3A Seats
From: TR4guyinVA@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 22:56:51 -0500
Hi all,

Yes indeed you do have early TR-4 seat pans. (Later 4's and all 4A's have the
foam in a frame with a rubber diaphragm arrangement.) TRF and Moss sell early
4 springs and they do require that indent in the bottom.  They fit fine, but
instead of the many small springs used originally,  the substituted about
half as many springs made of thicker wire and larger diameter coils.  I still
haven't put mine together yet, but I have my doubts about them being as
functional as the originals were.

One other difference I think I noticed from TR3 and TR4 seat drawings.  The
TR-4 uses only four studs to hold the seat to the tracks.  One in each
corner.  I think the TR-3 seats use four on each rail!  Judging from how torn
up my seat pans were around the studs, I'd say the more studs, the better. I
had to get a lot of welding done to get the bottom in one piece again.

I personally can't see the difference between the upholstery kits for 3's and
early 4's.

Good Luck.

Scott Tilton
In Richmond Virginia
Buying still more TR-4 parts to spread all over the place.