Re: TR4/TR3A Seats

To: DP5@MM-CROY.mottmac.co.uk, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4/TR3A Seats
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 95 09:06:43 -0800
In message <D0F9552F016C8DD1@MM-CROY.mottmac.co.uk> Price D writes:

> I  have a early TR4 (1962) which I am in the latter stages of restoring
> and I am at the stage where I am considering the rebuilding of the seats.
>
> The car did not have any seats with it when I bought it so I looked for
> some either from another early 4 like mine or a 3A as they are supposed
> to be externally the same, I was lucky and picked up what I thought were
> 3A seats.
>
> I think that the seats I have are actually 4 seats and not 3A seats, the
> reason for this is that they have a recess in the base under the cushion,
>  presumably to accommodate a deeper spring?   The Cox and Buckles (Moss)
> catalogue shows the 3A seats as having a flat base and the 4 seats as
> having the recess and I note that the order numbers for the springs in
> the seats are not the same but the external covers are.
>
> So what have I got 4 or 3A seats could all you 4 and 3A owners out there
> put your heads under the cushions and get back to me.
>
> Are there any other ways of telling them apart?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Dale Price
>
> 1962 TR4

Dale, the TR3 seats have flat bottom frames.  The one with the lowered section
is from a later TR.  Sorry, I do not know if its a 4 or 4A or what the lowered
section is used for.  If you can get hold of one of the poor excuses the
Roadster Factory call a TR3-4 parts catalogue they do have clear line drawings
of upholstry patterns.  I have a factory TR4 parts book at home.  I'll try to
remember to pull it out of its storrage case and look up the seats.

TeriAnn Wakeman        Large format photographers look at the world
twakeman@apple.com     upside down and backwards