Re: Fan-Tastic!

To: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Fan-Tastic!
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 18:21:26 -0700
At 09:33 AM 5/12/98 +0100, you wrote:
INSTALLATION TIPS...
Put in the mounting ties.  There is enough space between fins for these 4
ties, in my high density
>radiator,  not to interfere.

Even though the kits give you "workable" tiewraps to mount the fan to your
core, I would strongly recommend making some independant brackets to
support and mount the fan assemby to the radiator bulkhead, independant of
the radiator.  The radiator core is just not a good place to add the
additional inertial stresses from the fan assembly.  It's also a good idea
to seal the gap between the electric fan shroud and the core with a soft
rubber to minimize chaffing and maximize this seal.

...WIRING...

Be sure to install an appropriately sized fuse or circuit breaker as close
to your Hot power source as possible.  Typically the fans run on the hot
line and controls with the ground end, so that wire is always hot (12V) and
can do major damage if not protected.

>Steve

Question:
Why did you not consider one of the smaller diameter PM dc motors as
opposed to the flat larger diameter motors?

Final thought.  My research typically pointed out that straight blade fan
designs made more noise but moved more air as opposed to curved blade fans
which moved less air more quietly.

Tom