Distributor Choice part 1

To: "Ron Soave (Ron Soave)" <rsoave@invensysibs.com>,
Subject: Distributor Choice part 1
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 12:29:36 -0500
(resending, in 4 parts, since the original disappeared somewhere...edited to
pass corporate e-mail censoring)

LOL.

John,

Ron is correct about most things, leaves a few important facts out, but
"times, they are a-changin' ".

Sanctioning bodies are paying the price for being lax in their rules, or in
enforcement of existing rules. Many interesting, rare, or period correct
cars are staying away, rather than have their doors blown off by cheater
cars. VSCDA in particular, our home organization, has outlined a plan to get
its membership closer to compliance with its stated rules. There are no new
rules, just a new commitment to apply the rules on the books.

Racers were notified of this plan in the fall of 2005. In 2006, it is still
status quo, but racers have been notified that certain areas of compliance
will be enforced in 2007. Those include engine displacement, car weight, and
brakes. Those rules are outlined in either the GCR from many years ago (1967
to 1972) in SCCA racing, or FIA international rules (maybe Appendix K, if
I'm remembering right.) In 2007, they will outline areas of compliance for
2008. This designed to let the racer phase in the necessary changes to his
car.

The fact is, the rules have always been there. The racer has made a choice
to not comply. The club(s) have made decisions in the past to turn a blind
eye to it. This is changing, and seems to be changing in the majority of
organizations.