Distributor Choice Part 2

To: "Ron Soave (Ron Soave)" <rsoave@invensysibs.com>,
Subject: Distributor Choice Part 2
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 12:29:43 -0500
You'd be amazed at how many racers have never read the rules.

Many reasons are given as to why racers don't comply. Here's the public and
private rationalization of running non-compliant bits.

Costs...

"1275 are cheaper to build than a legal 1275" (Well, a very moderate powered
one is, but this year, I'm building a full race 1275, and wow, it costs just
as much as a 1275)

"Steel Bugeye bonnets are expensive" (Hey, I'm saving 75 lbs, and they don't
weigh the cars anyway. Decent used bonnets are $1500+ and I got this glass
one for $400)

Availability...

"I can't find a 948 crankshaft". (I actually have one in my basement, but I
won't be as fast as if I build a 1275)

Flounder Note here... a few months ago, a quick (one hour) online survey
showed at least FIFTEEN 948's sitting in garages, under benches, or given
away by street guys upgrading to 1275s, so any claims of blocks or cranks as
impossible to find is total bullsh*t.

Safety...

"I need rear disk brakes (because my cheater motor goes too fast).

Reliability...

"The Weber carb is easier to tune" (I just haven't spent the $200 on a good
SU rebuild, and I thought the Weber might give me better acceleration even
though I have $500 in the carb and manifold)

"I got sick of rebuilding transmissions, so I got this Datsun 5 speed"
(Yeah, I could have rebuilt 5 transmissions for what this 5 speed conversion
costs, but those gearboxes won't hold up to the 1380 cc 150 hp motor I have,
plus, the 5 spd gives me more flexibility, and better ratios).

"Yeah, I have a crank fired ignition... for reliability" (I'm running 16:1
compression ratio, am using an illegal fuel that the safety crews don't even
know about, but without the stability of the crank fired ignition, my
engines last a weekend, at $10k +)

"Roller rockers are insurance of increased reliability" (Of course, the 1.5
ratio is an advantage, and I've never seen a broken stock rocker, but, who
cares, right?)

"Given" reasons vs. facts are often quite far apart, but as this new rule
compliance issue has rolled out, everyone likes to point out the other guy's
cheating, but fails to mention their own. (Notice Ron neglected to mention
fiberglass bonnet, roller rockers, Weber carb, etc. on his car.)

When I started racing with VSCDA in 1992, a 1275 Bugeye would be classed in
Group 8, with other 1275 powered Sprites & Midgets. A few years ago, someone
thought that grouping similar body styles together was a good idea... so all
Bugeyes and Spridgets were moved to Group 2. I'm not sure what logic is
applied to Minis.

Wm. Severin Thompson

wsthompson@thicko.com

www.thicko.com <http://www.thicko.com/>