Re: Lug nut material?

To: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com> information
Subject: Re: Lug nut material?
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 21:53:30 -0500
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>, team-thicko@autox.team.net
Iff'n you can get your crew to make them out new areospace material,
why exactly are you asking?? Almost anything you can get made would
be at least as good as origininal, and I would bet, better. In the
immortal words of the "water boy cajun"  You can do eet.

Besides, you know a lot more about steel and stress math than the
rest of us combined. Use it to your advantage ;-)

Larry

On Feb 22, 2006, at 9:28 PM, Ron Soave wrote:

> I am somewhat disgusted with the quality of the lug
> nuts supplied with the Revolution wheels I was using
> last year (threads not centered, material way too
> soft, company now out of business, etc.).  The guys at
> work (a first class aerospace machine shop) have
> hex stock that is basically scrap (material is fine,
> with certs and everything).  They can duplicate the
> lug nuts on an NC machine for cheap, complete with
> undercuts, bearing surface, heat treat, and
> engineering hard chrome.  They can also leave the ends
> open.  Question is, what material to use?  everything
> I can find says "steel".  A286? 4140? 321? 347? Etc.?
>
> Soave

believed to be clean.