Re: RE: Snow and driving which car

To: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>, "Robert Duquette" <robertduquette@sympatico.ca>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: RE: Snow and driving which car
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 12:09:16 -0800
Here in Oregon there is no salt used on the winter roads. they consider it
too damaging to the environment.  They use some other liquid form of de-icer
that gets dribbled out onto the road surfaces from modified tank trucks.  It
works pretty well, but we also don't have a lot of snow here in Western
Oregon.  When we do have it, it's usually in the upper 20's and can be some
of the slipperiest stuff imaginable!  It's hard to walk in it, let alone
drive a car in it!  In Eastern Oregon, the temperatures are a lot colder
when it snows and with the exception of some icy spots, that snow is hard
and squeaky and traction is pretty good.  Studded tires are legal for about
6 months of the year and they are on all four wheels, here  That creates
twin ruts in the roads!

On Meacham grade on I-80, in Eastern OR., there are some curves on 7% grades
where trees and road angle prevent sun warming of the road surface.  There
were so many wrecks of big truck or small cars in the winter, that ODOT has
now put heating strips in the pavement.  Problem solved

Every area or part of the country has special needs for winter driving.

Paul A