Re: Brake Grabbing

To: "Les Myer" <lmyer@probe.net>, "Philip Hubbard" <phubbard@carroll.com>
Subject: Re: Brake Grabbing
From: "Tom Zuchowski" <tzuchow@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 07:34:50 -0400
Cc: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
That doesn't sound right for the calipers on my car, which I am 90% sure
came off a '67. They are bolted pretty solidly to the kingpins. I always
assumed that the "wobbling" in and out was taken care of by fluid passing
between the inner and outer pistons.

You seem to be describing single-piston calipers, which do float. If I'm
not mistaken, Philip has dual-piston calipers like mine.

Philip, have you considered the fact that disk rotors =do= get pretty
darned hot in normal usage? The whole function of brakes is to convert
motion to heat (conservation of energy and all that).

FWIW, my rotors rub unevenly also, but they are not new. I would suspect
that your new rotors are ever so slightly out of alignment with the axle
plane, which will cause them to rub on one side and then the other as you
turn them by hand. But having said that, I have to add that my rotors turn
fairly easily, especially after letting them sit for a minute.

Tom Zuchowski
'61 Bugeye
Clemmons, NC