Re: Brake Grabbing

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Brake Grabbing
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 20:35:43 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
At 07:50 PM 7/11/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Phillip,
>
>None of the following is specific to Sprites - just disc brakes in general.
>
>I would drive the car for a day to break the new stuff in before worrying
>about it much.  If the rotors are warped, you will be able to feel
>pulsation in the brake peday when you stop.  New rotors should be OK as is
>- you did wash the rust protectant from the surfaces with something before
>installing them?
>
>I assume that the calipers are OK internally after being rebuilt.
>Sometimes brake drag can be caused by failure of the calipers to freely
>slide in and out (side to side) on the caliper mounting - this has to occur
>for them to operate properly.  A little smear of grease at these points is
>usually advised.  This can be checked by collapsing the piston and pulling
>them from side to side.
>
>Les

Thanks for the advice Les.  There are two questions I have based on the above.

1)  I have only driven probably about 1 mile total since installation.  I
notice in just a short 2 minute run to the grocery store that the front
discs are hot, hot, hot.  In driving around for a day to see if things
break in nicely, will I be doing irrererable harm to my rotors or something
else due to the heat?

2) Calipers should slide in and out on the caliper mounting?  I'm afraid I
don't understand this one.  It's the pistons that move in and out no?  You
don't mean the whole caliper assembly should be moving do you?

Oh, BTW, I did clean the rotors with brake cleaner spray before installing
(got a gray residue coming off them that way).  Also, I have not noticed
any pulsing on braking.  Everything seems to be working nicely with a firm
brake pedal and even braking.  It's just the heating up that has me worried.

Again, thanks.
Philip
Burgundy 1974 Midget