Re: Brake Grabbing

To: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Subject: Re: Brake Grabbing
From: Les Myer <lmyer@probe.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 21:18:38 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>Thanks for the advice Les.  There are two questions I have based on the
above.

>1)  I have only driven probably about 1 mile total since installation.  I
>notice in just a short 2 minute run to the grocery store that the front
>discs are hot, hot, hot.  In driving around for a day to see if things
>break in nicely, will I be doing irrererable harm to my rotors or something
>else due to the heat?

If you can jack up the car and turn the wheel fairly easy, it shouldn't
damage the rotors.  I would just do some slow speed intermittent stop and
go driving.  Brake rotors get amazingly hot in normal driving, so don't
expect them to be cool enough to touch.

>2) Calipers should slide in and out on the caliper mounting?  I'm afraid I
>don't understand this one.  It's the pistons that move in and out no?  You
>don't mean the whole caliper assembly should be moving do you?

The whole caliper slides from side to side in its mounting.  This is
necessary for the caliper to center itself on the rotor as the brakes are
applied and also as the pads wear.  If the caliper can't slide from side to
side, the pad opposing the piston will still be rubbing against the rotor
after the brakes are released, and this pad will wear out at a much greater
rate than the pad the piston is pushing on.

Les