Re: [Spits] Spring Unmated Now what?

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net, Todd Bermudez <red_tr250@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Spits] Spring Unmated Now what?
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 13:08:46 -0700 (PDT)
The seals on the side shafts will be 10,000 times easier to replace when the
diff is on the bench, compared to being in the car.  So I say "do it".

Also,
if you remove those side shafts, you can check for any issue with the bearings
and replace them if necessary.  They take all the side thrust from the axles,
like when you go around a corner.

The seal on the pinion is more of a hassle
to replace; you need to make up some sort of tool to keep the shaft from
turning as you loosen the (big tight) nut.

Doug

--- On Fri, 3/27/09, Todd
Bermudez <red_tr250@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I pulled the drain plug from the
Spit diff.  Not a ton
> of oil came
> out....surprise...it's a TRiumph.  So, I
might make
> the assumption the seals
> may be questionable.  I am tempted to
pull the rear of
> the Spit Diff & see
> what's goin' on in there.  It does
turn freely which
> is good, but perhaps an
> inspection is in order?
>
> Are
there seals on each axle shaft?  I would assume
> so.  Lookin' at the GT6

diff(all blowed up) it would appear that there is a clip
> holding the bearing
> to the shaft.  So, if I get the clip/bearing off, is
> there a seal under
all
> that?  Also, what about the input shaft seal?
> Should I replace these
things
> whilst it's out?  Are there some pitfall should I open
> that
can-o-worms?  It
> would appear that there is some sort of cover over the

slotted nut.  Is this
> pryed out?
>
> Or, should I leave well enough alone
and put some GL4 in it