Re: [Spits] 79 Differential in a GT6

To: red_tr250@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [Spits] 79 Differential in a GT6
From: "v6spitfireguy@cox.net" <v6spitfireguy@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 08:21:12 -0500
Todd -
Short answer is yes, you will need to change the back half if you want to
use the fixed spring.  Not a major job, remove the stub axles by removing
the 4 allen head screws retaining the plates.  Remove the plates and axles,
remove all the bolts holding the pumpkin on, pop the back off, replace
(reverse order of removal) with new gasket, smear a little sealant on the
stub axle retaining flanges, (no gaskets were ever used here) bolt them
back on and your set.  Everything should bolt right up - the only "problem"
is that it is probably a 3.63 ratio - 76 and later Spitfires had this ratio
- so the speedo would be off - and you wont have quite the torque as you
would with the 3.89 ratio that stock GT6's with overdrives had, but a tad
more than the stock GT6 without overdrive, which used the 3.27 gears (at
least on this side of the pond)- Over in England they all had 3.27 ration -
can only imagine how tall the gearing with the overdrive engaged would be -
But on the bright side, the diff will be a bit more robust because it has
the stronger carrier -

Barry Schwartz