Re: [Spits] Rotoflex vs Early axle length

To: "'Spitfire List'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spits] Rotoflex vs Early axle length
From: <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 12:38:38 -0500 (EST)
Joe asked:
> I am wondering what is used in conjunction with the sliding
> axles to allow the wheel to assume the proper camber as
> each side goes up and down with the flexing of the road
> spring.

Joe, do you not have a GT6 with IRS?  Or are you asking specifically about
Todd's sliding-axle arrangement?

On the production GT6 Mk2 the upper control arm was the spring itself.  The
axle's bearing was fixed firmly to the upright rather than allowed to pivot on
a longitudinal axis with a trunnion as with a swing-axle.  See part #17 in the
left-hand drawing at:

http://www.spitbits.com/gt6/GT6%20suspension.htm.

IIRC, Jaguar have used an arrangement in which a fixed-length axle with u-joint
or CV joint acted as one of the control arms.  And Lotus has used the Chapman
strut, similar to a McPherson strut but with the control arm replaced by a
fixed-length axle and a toe-in control link.  But the GT6 never did, of course,
and never needed a fixed-length axle.

Or maybe I'm missing the point of your question.
--
Jim Muller