Re: [Spits] Rotoflex vs Early axle length

To: "'Todd Bermudez'" <red_tr250@yahoo.com>, "'Spitfire List'"
Subject: Re: [Spits] Rotoflex vs Early axle length
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 09:40:40 -0700
I am thinking that with the sliding axles, the length is immaterial since
the relative length is determined by the flexing of the spring on the
particular side.  This is if the wishbone assemblies from the rotoflex are
retained.  That lower control element limits the radical negative camber
that the later long axle Spitfire and GT6 cars show after they lengthened
the axles in conjunction with the swing-spring assembly.

Also, I see no need for the camber compensator if you have retained the
wishbones.

I do have a question, however.  I am wondering what is used in conjunction
with the sliding axles to allow the wheel to assume the proper camber as
each side goes up and down with the flexing of the road spring.  I used a
Porsche CV-Joint to replace the rotoflex, but some sort of joint (even a
U-Joint) is necessary to allow the wheel to assume the proper camber without
binding.

Cheers,
Joe